Employment & Training

CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work

Placeholder tab content 2

Placeholder tab content 3

Placeholder tab content 4

Placeholder tab content 5

Placeholder tab content 6

What is Welfare to Work?

The Welfare-to-Work (WTW) program is the employment and training component of the CalWORKs program that will provide you with the tools to become self-reliant through employment. 

WTW services use the CalWORKs 2.0 approach with a focus on helping families set and achieve realistic goals that are meaningful to them and build confidence, motivation and the ability to develop essential skills. For more information on the CalWORKs 2.0 approach, visit the CalWORKs 2.0 website.

What are the benefits of participating?

As a WTW participant, you will receive one-on-one support to help you work towards your career and/or educational goals.  The program can help connect you to different job training and career planning opportunities. In addition, you will have access to several supportive services to assist you as you work toward your career goals.

Some of these services may help with:

  • transportation costs;
  • child care;
  • diaper costs;
  • mental health, substance abuse, and domestic violence services;
  • ancillary expenses (ex. money for school books and supplies; clothing allowance for work, etc.);
  • tools for work; and
  • resume building and interviewing skills.

How do I participate?

After you are approved for CalWORKs, your next step is to attend a WTW Orientation session where you will learn about the program and different employment and training opportunities. You will also meet with a Career Development Specialist and your assigned Employment Counselor (EC). You will create a plan with your EC, who will help you to enroll in your WTW activity.

CalWORKs recipients are required to participate in the Welfare-to-Work Program to continue receiving CalWORKs benefits, unless they are exempt. If a CalWORKs recipient is exempt, they may still participate in the WTW program as an exempt volunteer.

To learn more about the WTW program, contact your Employment Counselor (EC). If you do not know who your EC is, you can call one of the following numbers:

  • North Oakland Self-Sufficiency Center (510) 891-0700
  • Eastmont Self-Sufficiency Center (510) 577-7067
  • South County (includes Eden Area Multi-Service Center, Fremont Office, Livermore Self Sufficiency Center) (510) 670-6225
  • Enterprise Self-Sufficiency Center (510) 639-1090

You can also stop by one of the Social Services Agency offices.